Saturday 31 August 2013

Geniaus' Blogger Geneameme

Jill over at Geniaus has created a bloggers' geneameme: a questionnaire which bloggers are filling in to share their processes with others and generate discussion. You can find the questions here.
What are the titles and URLs of your genealogy blog/s?
 
Do you have a wonderful "Cousin Bait" blog story? A link to a previous blog post might answer this question. 
Sadly not yet, but I hope one day that will change! So far my online Ancestry tree has proved far and to be my most successful cousin bait.
 
Why did you start blogging? Is there someone who inspired you to start blogging?
I'm the only person in my immediate family who is 'into' genealogy, and I don't get to share the excitement of new discoveries with others. I also wanted to document phases of my research, as well as get starters on write-ups for my ancestors. 
 
How did you decide on your blog/s title/s?
Initially the blog title was a play on my first name, because it was all about my personal genealogy. However, I soon realised that both the way I wrote and the type of things I wanted to include were really shaped by my age group, and I thought that might be something which would make sense as well as allowing me to contribute to a particular kind of discussion in the genealogy world.
 
Do you ever blog from mobile devices? What are they?
No,  unless you count my laptop.
 
How do you let others know when you have published a new post?
Via Twitter.
 
How long have you been blogging?
Only a few months.
 
What widgets or elements do you consider essential on a genealogy blog? 
An email contact form, so cousins who don't wish to 'comment' can get in touch!
 
What is the purpose of your blog/s? Who is your intended audience?
Sharing discoveries and processes, plus sharing the younger (haha) person's perspective on genealogy. My audience is people who don't fear profanity and pop culture. ;)
 
Which of your posts are you particularly proud of?
This one here. It's a cracking story about my discovery that my great-grandfather was not the grand auld Scot we'd all been lead to believe, and I'd like to think I did it justice.
 
How do you keep up with your blog reading?
With difficulty!! There's so much stuff coming in all the time.
 
What platform do you use for publishing your blog/s?
Blogger.
 
What new features would you like to see in your blogging software?
A "follow me on Twitter" widget. There was one, but it now wants a URL link to work, not the HTML coding which Twitter provide.
 
Which of your posts has been the most popular with readers?
 This one here on Ethical Dilemmas I have faced with heirlooms.
 
Are you a sole blogger or do you contribute to a shared blog?
It's just me! No-one else is willing to accept responsibility. ;)
 
How do you compose your blog posts?
I park my arse on the couch, stare at the screen and think "Oh shit! It's the weekend again. I really should blog something!!" Not very inspired as an approach, but I hope to get better.
 
Do you have any blogs that are not genealogy related? If you wish please share their titles and URLs.
No. I can hardly keep up with this one! 
 
Have you listed your blog/s at Geneabloggers?
No. I worry my language will scare them.  If  you're thinking "well don't swear then", sorry, I can't do that. I don't swear at work (kids) and I don't swear at home (more kids). I don't swear with family (oldies) and I don't swear with friends (they all have kids). I tried typing this with no swearing, but it appears that was just one no-swearing too far! Blame the sailors in my family!!
 
Which resources have helped you with your blogging?
None spring to mind. 
 
What advice would you give to a new Geneablogger?
Just get started! You can always tweak it later if you change direction. As the saying goes, "A year from now you'll wish you had started it today".

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining the geneameme challenge. Loved your post and your unique approach to geneablogging.

    ReplyDelete